Craftateria Lady




That is right... cake in your crock pot. I found this recipe in the November 2011 issue of Woman's Day magazine, and had to try it. It is also available online as Slow Cooker Applesauce Spice Cake.

That is how it is suppose to look. Wonder if mine will look the same?Lets, bake!

Ingredients:  
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
                                                     1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
                                                  1/4 tsp ground cloves
                                               1/8 tsp kosher salt
                                                  1/2 cup soften butter
                                                      1/2 cup granulated sugar
                                                     1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
                                            2 eggs
                                                       1 cup unsweetened applesauce 
                                                      1 tsp vanilla extract
                                                      Confectioners' sugar for top (optional)

I followed the recipe as is, with two exceptions. I used regular brown sugar because that is all I had on hand and I did not place the confectioners' sugar on top.

In the first step you are asked to line the crock pot with parchment paper. This is not easy, but is important as I found out later. You really need to cut it so it covers the whole pot, if any of the batter gets under it will burn.  Mix the ingredients and pour into crock pot.

 Cover and let cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The smell of the batter is very nice, it reminds me of gingerbread.

The parchment paper stops the cake from sticking to the pot, however a little of the my batter got under the paper and burned.  It also burned the paper and a small spot on the cake. Crazy!


You can also my cake is lopsided, not sure if I did not spread the batter evenly or one side did not rise correctly. SO it is not as pretty as I would hope for, but it is the taste that matters most.


The texture is more bread like then cake to me. The taste was nice, but not as flavorful as I prefer. If I were to try this again I would add more cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar, or use sweetened applesauce. The idea of baking in a crock pot is great, but don't think this recipe will get on the permanent menu rotation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment