Craftateria Lady


I have never actually had this dish before, but I have had the ingredients separately.  All over Facebook this New Year's Day everyone said you must eat this to start your year with good luck.  Hey, who doesn't need some good luck.  I Googled for some simple, easy recipes.  I choose this one from Real Simple, 
"Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon and Escarole."  (This a link to the original recipe.)


With six ingredients, this should be easy.  As you can guess there was no escarole at the local supermarket, but they did have some mustard greens on sale for $1.00.  Perfect!  I also purchased some beautiful grass fed turkey bacon. 

1 lb of turkey bacon
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 14oz bags of mustard greens
 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1 15oz can of black eyed peas (rinsed) 


             

Let's get cooking!


        


First, cook up the bacon until nice and crispy.
Remove the bacon from the pan set aside until later, don't eat it all. In the same pan with all the yummy bacon drippings add garlic, the greens, salt and pepper.
Cook the greens until they wilt.


Add the black-eyed peas and 1/4 cup of water if there is no liquid in the pan.  (For me there already was plenty of liquid in the pan.) Heat thoroughly for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with bacon sprinkled on top.


All I can say is delicious!  I could have eaten this as my whole meal instead of as a side dish. Actually I did that for lunch the next day. Using two bags of greens makes a lot, but oh it did not last long in my house.  I will definitely make this again.



0 comments:

Post a Comment